Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Need advice!

Gabriel and I have had a little trouble lately. All he really wants is to be rubbed, and I'm happy to oblige him. The problem is that whenever I stop, even just to turn a page in my book, he starts biting the carpet. I tried holding his head to get him to stop, but now he associates that with being pet. So, it's only gotten worse. Any suggestions on how to break this habit without hurting his feelings? Thanks!



PS, here's a great, cheap bunny toy: A cardboard box with plain tissue paper! My buns love it. They're now on box #3. All I do is cut a hole in one side so they can get in easily, and Darcy creates her own holes so both bunnies can jump through and around and rip the tissue paper to shreds. A great addition is an old sheet thrown over the top to drape on the floor- my bunnies love to crawl or sleep under the sheet.


7 Comments:

Blogger Heartland said...

Lea Anne, great fun box idea!! Here at Heartland many of our residents have 'spring fever'. From numerous bunnies to the donkeys and the little horse, there is much nonsense and some out-of-character behavior going on. I suspect maybe Gabe is experiencing some of that. This may pass. In the meantime try the old give him something else to chew on method. I would take the TP cardboard sleeves, cut them in napkin ring size and fill them with timothy. Have them handy when you are petting him. When you stop and he starts chewing at the carpet put the hay sleeve in his way. You can try this intervention with any toy he likes too. I would also hide the hay sleeves in the tent you mentioned. It is important that Gabe and Darcy eat lots of hay and if they find it in unexpected places they may find that fun.

7:00 AM  
Blogger RG said...

Oh gracious, if you stop petting Gabe he'll prolly have a nervous breakdown! Love your bunny!


(ok Gabe ... we gave it our best shot ...)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure Gabriel will too. He really does get upset if I stop petting him, even for a second. He's my snuggle bunny. :-)

7:38 AM  
Blogger Glenna said...

I've bought some inexpensive area rugs from target, which I place over the nicer rug when it's bunny playtime. They can bite that all they want, so they usually don't. Lucky you to have a snuggle bun--mine only put up with being petted--they're much more into each other.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Gabe is so lucky to have you Lea Anne. From his sad first year in life he knows what its like to have a good mom who offers lots of attention and head rubs and love. He's addicted!

Sorry I dont have any suggestions. I dont know about this particular problem.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I would agree with the distract-him-with-something-else-chewable method. Pear tree sticks are a big favorite around my house.

That looks like a fun box you have there Gabe!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Heartland said...

Lindsay, I can attest to the highly favored pear tree sticks! Whenever you arrived here with those they always caused excitement with these bunnies. You would have thought they were dipped in sugar coating. Maybe your mom's pear trees are a special variety that really appeals to bunnies. We miss you. Hope you get to visit this summer again.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home