Friday, June 05, 2009

Two head tilt bunnies are better than one.















A few months ago a bunny named Haven captured my mom's heart at the rescue. Haven was living in the hospital with the other special needs buns and had severe head tilt. A month ago this Friday as I was leaving for the day and saying goodbye to the hospital buns, Haven picked up his head and we made eye contact. His look said it all "please take me home" , I went back on got him on that Sunday.










We made a trip to the vet and Haven started getting penicillin injections among other things. His balance started to improve and so did his head. His eyes are no longer weeping and the hair is starting to grow back around his eyes. He was loosely diagnosed with Pastuerella. We are hoping his head will improve a bit more but if not we are okay with that.










After speaking with several vets and lots of research, I decided to try and bond Haven with my two boys Nemo and Stewart. I am just warning all of you that I took a risk and am still taking one. Nemo came to me with head tilt almost as severe as Haven but tested negative for E.C and Pastuerella so we really don't know what type of illness his tilt came from. Please don't get the idea that this is okay for you. This was done after much soul searching on my part and many people and vets would advise you against it. This could be very risky for Nemo and Stewart and even Haven.










I moved Haven into the boys bedroom and opened his playpen. My dear little heart ambassador buns Nemo couldn't wait to meet him. He rushed right in and started to clean Haven's ears. It was one of the most touching sights I have ever witnessed. Stewart came next and really only wanted to see if Haven's food was better than his. Lol! They accepted him in hours as a member of the family as my instincts told me they would. They let Haven lean on them whenever he wants.










As you can see by the pictures Haven is thriving. Their company is so therapeutic for him. My three special needs boys. I am humbled by them. I wish more people could treat each other like that. I uploaded a couple of the wrong pictures but enjoy them anyway. My computer skills are sometimes right below caveman and I couldnt figure out how to switch them. Haven is the big black bunny and Stewart is the lop baby with malocclusion and my little sweetie Nemo is the black and gray little guy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I'm so glad Haven is doing well in your care! Such a sweet story!

8:30 PM  
Blogger RG said...

The odd and happy trio ...

6:17 PM  
Blogger Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Nemo - what a sweetie pie! He knew that Haven needed a friend. :) I agree, introducing new bunnies can be a recipe for disaster, but your instincts were right on. That is why you do what you do! Lucky bunnies.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home