Saturday, September 12, 2009

"It's a free country,




and you can do almost anything you want.....but, JUST DON'T DANCE!" I went to the warrens to do some work, put a CD on for some motivation and started down the middle aisle between the playpens when a certain song came on titled "Stomp". It brought back fond memories of party times long,long ago. All I was doing was a little hip swinging and a few funky steps when suddenly I heard a commotion just to my left, which erupted in a millisecond into a tsunami of full blown panic. The bonded pair of New Zealands to my immediate left had freaked at the sight of my dance,which alerted their neighbors,which alerted their neighbors, and so on. The rippling effect was astonishing. Bunnies were dashing around their playpens saying, "WHAT IS IT?! WHAT IS IT?!!!" One of them nearly jumped completely over the side. I knew just to back up slowly and be very still until this panic subsided. When it did I was relieved to see no one was hurt. However, many were now in freeze frame. Some were still huddled together for safety, some were clutching the side of the playpen, some were hiding behind anything they could find (it is SO cute when they hide their face and their butt sticks out a mile), and practically everyone was wearing the contents of their potty boxes. One playpen was knocked completely apart and I've got some repair work to do. Lots of sweeping to do and broken pieces of a food dish to find. I've got to remember these guys are prey and their instincts keep them on the alert for any threat. I am not allowed to dance in the warren any more,....ever.

11 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I was laughing so hard when you told me the story yesterday, although, of course, it was a very serious matter for the poor bunns. Unfortunately, seeing Elias' paw grabbing the play pen wire for dear life, made me giggle once again. Please don't tell him! It looks like he is trying to keep the sky (or, better, the play pen) from falling ... "Hang on, everybody, we're going down..."
I guess no more hip-hopping around the warren, Jeannie. From now on it's only Enya and Mozart ... :-)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

It's amazing what rabbits will react to. My bunnies thump their feet at me and run away if I sing while I'm in their room. I guess I'm not as good as I thought!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Heartland said...

tee hee. Lea Anne I'm not as good a dancer as I imagined either. They're a tough crowd. Not a Paula Abdul among them - just a bunch of Simons.

Andrea, the playpens were definitely going down in there. Scary thought too. The playpens were the only things that saved me. Was trying to imagine a bunny stampede just now!? Whoa! Nothing in its path would be safe.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

I know, Jeannie! A buffalo stampede would be nothing compared to it ... hehe. You would have had to send out SOS.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Jeannie that story is hilarious. I was laughing my butt off picturing it. Yes, you may have to stop dancing in the warrens. Too much mess to clean up. LOl

2:10 PM  
Blogger Heartland said...

Yes, and until I find that advanced iron you told me about I need to conserve my energy. Sweeping after every dance is just too much work.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Quilt Works said...

Thank you for a good laugh! I needed that today :-)
Good thing they are not judges on "So you think you can dance!"

8:38 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Our buns are alarmed enough when their dad sings, thank goodness he's never attempted dancing in their room!

And if the So You Think You Can Dance judges were around, I imagine Mary would find something to scream about and frighten the bunnies all the more!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Heartland said...

Lindsay, you and Daniel both have to be pretty good to have landed roles in Fiddler on the Roof. And it's not likely that your California sisters are going to be too overly stressed by Daniel's singing and dancing anyway. Growing up in Los Angeles, they're probably pretty much unflappable. tee hee.



Hi Quilt Works! Happy to oblige. I have to admit, I was laughing too. The thought of my 'threatening' dance and the mixed feelings of stark fear and ridicule the other bunnies in the warren must have felt towards me caused tears to run down my face. I too needed the laughter. What would we do without it! *sigh*

2:52 PM  
Blogger Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Oh, too funny! I can see it now. Glad to hear no one was hurt!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Heartland said...

Hey Bridget! Gotta say, there was more than a little envy for Christina's good fortune this morning. I told Christina that I really remember a requirement for this raffle being that the participants must have a horse. She didn't believe me though. And Andrea told her there must be a mistake saying her name was on the cuff. I didn't notice that either though. chuckle, chuckle.
That was really cool that you drew another name for a second cuff. They are beautiful. This is such a great idea and great fun to follow. Thank you.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home