Friday, February 19, 2010

D.B.S.S.

Bogart has it, & i've seen at least one other with this condition. I'd like to know if there are more out there. I call it D.B.S.S., for "Dead Bunny Sleeping Syndrome". It's when your bunny sleeps in such ridiculous contorted positions that either 1) he looks like road kill, or 2) like he's already departed for the great beyond, and rigor mortis has set in. No matter how many times he's done it, it each time I want to check his pulse to make sure he's still alive. See below:

When I do poke him, he jerks awake & looks annoyed, as if to say, "what did you wake me up for"? Grouchy old men don't like being awoke from their naps!

Sorry, Bogart. You fooled me again. Sometimes, seeing him breathe is about the only way I can tell he's still alive! :)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

He looks adorable. I love to see them sleep all flopped out and yes I have mistaken that position myself. They like to give us heart attacks.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

That is one grouchy old man! And yet, somehow so cute. How do bunnies manage a balance between such contradictory things?

And yes, when Sable lays on her side it looks like she just keeled over right then and there.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Murph's mom said...

It's a great bunny trick, perfected by the clever ones. Bunny tricksters! Bogart gets to gloat around the house about causing his mom's heart to jump a beat.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Annette Tait said...

Goodness! I've had a few heart stoppers too :)

5:02 AM  
Blogger RG said...

Lucky can even keep the feet on the upper side right off the ground. He looks stiff.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Layla said...

Bogart IS a grouchy old man, but he makes up for it by being a great cuddler. He will sit in my lap for hours as long as I stroke his head. I can put him under the covers next to me & he'll fall asleep. When I stroke him he gets so relaxed that he actually drools on me. So, I don't mind when he acts like Mr. Cranky Pants! :)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous suzy said...

Aww, Bogart, you have a great mom~ Silly bunny, though, you scare her, just by being asleep~ But a bunny has to do what a bunny has to do, right?

2:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yes, we definitely have DBSS. Every time we flop over we both do it with the biggest smile on their faces (OK Rabbits cant smile, but they kind of do with the squinty happy eyes, tail wiggle and twitch of the whisker/muzzle area. You all know what I mean.) Each and every time mom thinks it's the cutest thing she's ever seen and laughs out loud. what a loser.

Still, with the whole "drop dead" routine, kind of makes you wonder if rabbits have any relation to possoms? Seems like the same (if bizarre) evolutionary defense at the very least.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home