Friday, November 11, 2011

Cuddle Time was the best


We buried our precious Gandalf one year ago today. Rather than a sad post, I'd prefer it be about the joys a bunny brings into your life. He was our first and will be the first of many.

Gandalf could always make me smile. Through deaths in the family, a painful broken foot, anything. All it took was his happy little face.

He taught us that even if we didn't see the tiny hole between the baseboards in the kitchen, he did. It was a great hiding spot for a bunny and only after pulling the stove and dishwasher out did he agree to vacate his little hiding place. It was the next day that we discovered that the dishwasher no longer worked and some wires would need to be soldered.

He taught me that getting ready work work wasn't so bad when there was a bunny around. All my dress pants are hemmed for heels and too long when barefoot and applying makeup. But this was excellent for a bunny to play with and tug on to say "pet me please."

He taught us what crepuscular really meant. The day after we welcomed him into our home he was sitting quietly in the little play area we built for him. "Did we break our bunny?" Daniel asked. Nope, he was just waiting for evening to roll around so he could complete a few zooms, hops and binkies around his new living room.


This is the bunny garden we created this past summer. This morning I left a bouquet of cilantro and carrot sticks. A few weeks ago I saw what I thought were leaves blowing in the wind so I looked out the window. Instead of leaves, what had caught my eye was a cottontail.

We are grateful for every moment we had with him in those seven years. Three apartments, my parent's house, our rent house, and finally our home. He always enjoyed the move and wide open rooms after moving out/before moving in were a favorite. A bit of sad at the end is worth the years of joy we had. A bunny is a wonderful thing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

This is wonderful Lindsay and the last 2 sentences are spot on. Thanks for sharing with us.

12:47 PM  
Blogger veganelder said...

Thank you Lindsay, I can almost see Gandalf.

I'm with Christina, the last 2 sentences are superlative.

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very sweet and so appropriate for a bunny. Your bunny garden is beautiful!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Awww, Lindsay, I love the picture of you and Gandalf, and the garden you created in his honor is just beautiful. Gandalf and all the other bunnies we had the honor to love and spend our time with will always be in our hearts!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Nick said...

Gandalf is a great name for a pet

5:21 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like he was one terrific bunny. Hugs.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Pam Beers. said...

I love your bunny garden. Gandalf is in a special place

6:09 PM  
Anonymous IsobelandCat said...

I tried to comment here last night, but was rejected several times. This is a lovely pots. If only all rabbits were so loved and appreciated.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home