Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hope Warren's Backyard Guest

My rabbits graciously loaned their backyard for a month to a sweet pot belly pig that I named, Ezra. He was at the Oklahoma City Animal Shelter for almost a month with no prospective adopters. When I saw this little guy on their website, I started doing research on pot belly pigs and found out there is one rescue in Oklahoma, which is called Hamalot Farms Pot Belly Pig Rescue located in Sand Springs ("Rescue"). I emailed the Rescue to see if they would be able to take him, but he was unneutered and the Rescue could not take the chance of him impregnating the sows at the Rescue that have not been spayed because of health reasons. I offered to get him neutered and foster him while he was recovering from his surgery if the Rescue would take him, and they accepted.

Ezra is a very sweet tempered boy that loves belly rubs. When my husband or I start rubbing his belly, he drops to his knees and flops on his side and he will lay there for hours enjoying the attention. He goes to bed at about 10 pm and very little wakes him except food. He sits for any food that I hand feed him. He thoroughly enjoys eating and you can hear it through his loud smacking as he savors every piece of squash, zucchni, cabbage, carrot, brocccoli, mango, watermelon, cantalope, startburst tomatoes..., which most would think is rude, but it is music to my ears. I will greatly miss him greeting me at the gate, licking my feet, and nudging me to pet him. I will feel comfort in knowing that he has a chance to find a forever home that will appreciate and love his uniqueness.




9 Comments:

Blogger Heartland said...

Hello Ezra! You are a very fortunate one indeed that Keely noticed you at the shelter. Sounds like Keely and her husband were fortunate too that they got to know a pig. We wish you well on your journey to your new life. Thank you for caring what happens to him Keely. He sounds like a really sweet guy.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Titch said...

what a handsome fellow he is,and well done for taking the time to help Ezra too!He really looks very sweet and loving,good luck to Ezra!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Keely I couldnt have been more tickled and delighted by a post. Erza is a lucky little piggy thanks to you. What a fun guest to have at your home. Thanks for sharing, this made my day.

12:27 AM  
Blogger veganelder said...

What a handsome fellow! I'm glad to hear that our piggy friends still adore belly rubs...I remember learning this when I was a kiddo and used to love the looks of pleasure on their faces when they would get a long belly rub.

Best wishes for Ezra on his new home and my most heartfelt thanks to you, Keely, for caring for him and for sharing his story.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what a kyoooteee patoooooteee piggeeeee! I remember when pot bellied pigs were a big fad years back. I guess ole Ezra here is a product of that fad, you know, let's get a pig and see what happens...
I have no room to talk, I know. That was how I got my Meany Girl lionhead rabbit. No research, no thought, just ME WANT REBBIT NOW!!!!!
I hope Ezra finds a great home and lots of piggy wiggy friends at the Rescue.
That picture of him on his side makes me want to take my shoes off and scratch that tummeh with my toes!!!

6:47 AM  
Blogger RG said...

Good O Ezra!

8:43 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Warren sounds like a real ham. I wish you could keep him!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Awe, thanks for sharing!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Any update on Ezra Piggeh?

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home