Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Very Special Friend



I met Cadbury's special friend, Shelley, this last February. She called us hoping she could get help for a little white rabbit she had picked up as a stray a month earlier. Shelley is the animal control officer for a small town in northeastern Oklahoma. She explained his story, that she had tried for a month to adopt him out, but no one was interested him - at least not as a pet. Most small towns, having very small budgets, will hold a stray for 72 hours only. A rare few will hold them a week. I don't know how much time Cadbury's town allows (I didn't ask), but Shelley had already broken the rules in holding him for a month. Her voice sort of trailed off as she asked if we possibly had room for him. I sighed and she added quickly, "He is very sweet." As I pictured in my mind that corner of the warren that has - had our one remaining 'emergency' cage I heard myself say, "How shall we get him here?" We made plans to meet half way on the turnpike - an hour and a half drive for each of us. She had left early in the morning and was waiting for me as I pulled up to the rest stop. Taking him out of her carrier and putting him into mine was done in my van. We talked for a little while about Cadbury and how she came about giving him that name, all the while she was stroking his forehead. He had his eyes closed and his nose pointing up to her. It was obvious they had shared moments like this before. She smiled and said, "Have a good life Cadbury" and thanked me again as she got out of the van. She handed me gas money for which I tried to refuse. But she said, "Please take it, I want to help." I told her she already has helped. Her act of kindness towards a little white rabbit that nobody wanted comes to my mind often. "Thank you officer Shelley." Here are a couple of pictures of Cadbury being a goofus I took in the play yard Sunday. He is neutered and ready for that special family to love him. Thanks to his very special friend Shelley.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how wonderful of you!! he is a beautiful bunn!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger The Bunns said...

Thanks for squeezing in another one ...

8:25 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

What a handsome guy!!!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

always room for one more :-) hugs.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Deb Cushman said...

There are very special people in this world -- Shelley is one of them. What a wonderful story and how great that Cadbury has been given this chance!

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home