Monday, June 15, 2009

Food Warning!

Hi All!

I just wanted to warn everybody about the Kaytee Fiesta mix food. Darcy did not really eat or drink all weekend, starting Thursday night, and she was very lethargic and had diarrhea as well. I took her to see Dr Leak at Banfield yesterday. Dr Leak told me that she has seen several buns lately with similar problems, and they all use the Kaytee Fiesta mix food (as does Darcy). She's not sure if the food is the cause, but I've noticed that this bag has different foods than previous bags. Even though she's not certain if the food is the problem, she still recommended I throw this bag out and change to a different brand for now.


Darcy is doing much better today, although she's definitely not out of the woods yet. She's still at the vet, still has diarrhea, but is at least eating on her own some and is much more alert. I just wanted to warn everyone to keep a close eye on their buns-- Dr Leak said I was very lucky to have caught these problems as early as I did. So if you're using the Fiesta mix, think about getting something else for now, and if your bun eats Kaytee and has diarrhea and/or seems lethargic, take it to the vet as soon as you can!


6 Comments:

Blogger RG said...

I think a lot of bunny folk use oxbow because it is so consistent.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I hope Darcy gets to feeling better very soon. Thanks for the information.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Yes, the vet recommended oxbow to me, so I'm switching. Darcy is doing a little better; she's home at least. It was very close as to whether or not she'd make it, and the vet said that the bunnies she's seen lately had gone downhill very quickly. Hopefully she'll start making pellets soon and can recover. Thanks for the good wishes.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Is Darcy feeling a bit better? Is she still having diarrhea? Is she eating on her own?
We're all sending lots of positive energy her way!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

So glad to here she's home! Hope the speedy recovery continues!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Bunny Cove said...

I had a Netherland Dwarf that someone gave me and 3 days after i got him he died, and the Vet did a Necropsy on him and said he died from septic shock, his intestines were swollen, and he said it was food related, and this Bunny was eating Kaytee fiesta mix. the Vet said any food that has seeds and corn in it is Toxic to buns, my rabbits now only eat plain pellets, and Oxbow timothgy hay.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home