Sunday, June 28, 2009

Darcy Update


Hi all!

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes for Darcy. She is doing much better! After talking to the vets, since Gabriel never got sick (meaning it wasn't the food) we think the problem is arthritis in her back and hips. It seems that she's been hiding the pain for a while, and eventually just started to shut down from it (as bunnies tend to do). Looking back, I can think of things that seemed relatively normal or unimportant at the time, but may have been indications of a problem. We've got her on pain meds, and the vet says that keeping her on them indefinitely is not a problem. She's still got some diarrhea every now and then, and will never really be "well," but for the most part is doing great! She and Gabriel have been playing more in the past couple of days than they have in a long time. It's so good to have my bunnygirl back!

8 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Darcy looks great! I am glad she is feeling better. It could have been the food, Gabe maybe just wasnt sensitive to it. I am glad they are well. (I have 6 bunnies so taking them to the vet for nail trims is not an option. I have gotten used to it)

3:49 PM  
Blogger RG said...

We've had bunnies (and a cat) live a long time taking meta-cam to manage pain. Good luck Darci ..

10:20 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I really really really want to beep and kiss that white spot on her nose.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

Darcy looks beautiful, and I'm so glad she is back to playing with Gabe! Briseis is taking metacam daily, too, and will probably have to indefinitely. We thought she may have arthritis in her hindlegs, but it is most likely a neurological issue due to her e.c. Has your vet taken x-rays? Usually, arthritis can be confirmed or ruled out with an x-ray of the hip.
Glad she's doing so much better. (For diarrhea: try some dried blueberries!)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Christina: I will be happy to beep and kiss that spot for you :-)

Andrea: Yes, they did take x-rays, which is how they discovered the arthritis. I had no idea she had been in pain! Thanks for the blueberry advice, I'll definitely try it.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Blackfeatherfarm said...

Hi Christina, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, so that I found you ! I used to have a house bunny myself. I'll keep up with you here now, and I'll have to check out Heartland Rabbit Rescue rescue and blog about it. I have a sister who lives in Tuttle, so I am over that way.
I hope Darcy is going to be okay.
I liked your profile, we would be friends. :)

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Darcey is a cute bunny! I'm glad she is doing better. Umm, I have a question, how long did Darcey "hold the pain in"? I'm asking this because, maybe it was the food. I mean even if she does have arthritis, doesn't it kinda seem weird that after she starts eating the food...

BOOM!

she has diarea and won't eat or drink on her own.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Lucy, that's a good question. She'd actually been eating the food for a little over a month. But now, looking back, I can see that she'd been getting less active over the past several months. I had thought she was just mellowing out from getting older (she's about 5 1/2 years now), but now that she's on pain meds she's acting like a much younger bunny. She's running all over the place, having a blast and getting into everything! Either way, I've gotten rid of that bag of food and changed brands-- not going to take that chance!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home