Monday, July 14, 2008

Darcy & Gabe

Hi all! I thought you might like to meet Darcy and Gabe. Darcy is a Holland Lop I've had for four and a half years, and we moved to Oklahoma from Virginia about a year ago. Her best friend is her Blue Ball, but a couple of months ago I decided she needed a bunny companion. I found Heartland, and met Gabe! He's a New Zealand mix (we think), absolutely sweet, and he and Darcy instantly took to one another. Gabriel was mostly ignored for the year he lived with his former family, so now he gets nothing but spoiling. If his love of binkies and racing around the room are any indication, I'd say he's pretty happy with his new home!
This is Darcy and her Blue Ball. Blue Ball goes wherever Darcy goes. Darcy washes it, pushes it around, and sleeps next to it. Even with Gabriel around, Darcy still loves her ball. In this picture, I had put it in a hole on top of a box while I was cleaning, and Darcy jumped up to "rescue" it. A minute or two after this photo, Darcy had pushed it back onto the floor.







To the right is the first meeting! Darcy and Gabriel did pretty well the first time they met, and they were bonded in less than a week.








A couple of weeks after Gabriel joined us, we all took a trip back to Virginia to visit family. Even though it's a long drive, being in the same carrier made both bunnies much calmer. Darcy, of course, knew that Grandma's house meant treats, and Gabe quickly learned! My mom spoiled her "grandbunnies" outrageously, and now whenever I go into their room (yes, they have a bedroom all to themselves), they expect treats IMMEDIATELY.
Darcy and I love having Gabe around. Darcy likes to be pet, but is picky about it. Gabriel, however, turns into mush whenever you want to rub him, and will snuggle up next to me and push his nose under my hand. Their new favorite thing to do is to squish their noses together so I can rub them both at the same time. I love walking into their room and seeing that they've been snuggling together, or watching them race around each other while I'm getting out the treats. Yep, they're spoiled, but that's just fine with them!

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

What a couple of angels. I am so glad Gabe found a good forever home. That IS a very attractive blue ball. What a couple of sweetie pies!!!!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

By the way Darcy, your nose is fabulous!!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Art said...

I love the picture of them together!! They are soooo cute!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh my God, and I'm shedding a few more tears ... what are you guys doing to me today?
Lea Anne, I am soooo happy to see the bliss in Gabe's eyes. He and Darcy are a beautiful, beautiful couple!! Thank you so much for giving them both such a loving home. (Oh, and keep the pictures coming, hehe...)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Thanks! I love sharing pictures of them. They like to look adorable, even when they get into trouble (Darcy in particular uses her wiggling white nose to look innocent!). I'm sure I'll post plenty more stories!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Heartland said...

Lea Anne, I think Darcy's devotion to her Blue Ball is absolutely the cutest thing! How sweet it is that she stays faithful to it even though Gabe is now her favorite snuggle bun. I don't think I have ever heard of someone's devotion to a ball before......well, except for Tom Hanks in Castaway. Did Darcy see that movie?

5:44 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

What a lovely story!!! Thanks for sharing!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Lea Anne said...

Jeannie, I think Darcy saw parts of Castaway and thought "what a great idea!" :-)
Also, I did some internet searching, and I think she does qualify as a Mini Lop, since Hollands only get to be about 4.5 lbs, and Minis are up to 6.5 lbs, and she's just about 6. I had Gabriel weighed at the vet, and he's 10 lbs!! Trying to carry them together... whew!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Layla said...

That was so sweet! Thank you so much for taking the time to share it!
;)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home